We’ll keep this quick because we know during the holidays, things can get a little crazy — especially when you’re the mom. What also happens when you’re running around trying to create the perfect Christmas magic, is you start reaching for quick snacks to keep you energized. Which you should be! You need that energy and you deserve that treat.
But most of those holiday treats go big on the sweets and don’t always deliver on nutritional value, ultimately leaving you with a sugar crash while in the middle of all those holiday festivities. Our solution? Our go-to Chocolate Energy Balls.
These easy to make energy balls will be a healthy holiday treat that the whole family will love, but we recommend stashing them away so they don’t disappear before you’ve had a chance to enjoy them yourself!
They’re a great addition to your snack rotation any time of year, but right now when you’re craving a little chocolate and needing a lot of energy, these will be your best friend. Packed with more goodness (but fewer calories) than an energy bar, these yummy bites can be made in less than 20 minutes.
Baby2Body’s Chocolate Energy Balls
Here’s what you’ll need:
- 3 TBSP good quality cocoa powder
- 2 TBSP tahini or nut butter
- Splash milk, for blending
- 2 TBSP coconut oil, melted and cooled slightly
- 1 TBSP honey, or to taste — can also use maple syrup or date syrup
- 1/2 tsp salt (Himalayan crystal or sea salt)
- Crushed nuts, sesame seeds or chia seeds, for rolling
Here’s how to make it:
- Combine the cocoa powder, tahini or nut butter, milk, coconut oil, chosen syrup and salt in a food processor.
- Whizz for a few minutes until evenly blended – you may need to add a little more milk if the mixture clumps together too much. The final consistency should resemble a fairly thick paste that can be rolled into balls (for best results, chill for half an hour or so before rolling).
- Sprinkle crushed nuts and/or sesame or chia seeds onto a plate or flat surface. Roll a heaped teaspoon of the mixture into a ball and then roll over the crushed nuts/seeds until evenly coated. Repeat with the remainder of the mixture.
- Store in the fridge, preferably in miniature paper cake cases (petit four cases work brilliantly).
This should take approximately 10-12 chocolate energy bites and can store in the fridge for up to 1 week — making them the perfect snacks to carry you through the holidays!
Want more nutritional advice and quick, healthy recipes? Download our iOS app today for recipes and meal plans suited to your stage.