If you’re here on Baby2Body we’re guessing fitness is important to you. That’s great news because it’s so important to us too! But in order to become stronger, fitter, and healthier, we need to start with setting smart goals that will get us there, and not ones that will leave us feeling worse off than when we started.
We’ve found that there’s one big reason why our fitness efforts don’t always come to fruition and instead leave us with mixed emotions towards exercising: it’s because it’s very easy (and all too common) to set fitness goals out of place of discomfort or distaste for something in our lives. So, when we decide to set a new goal it’s more often rooted in “something is negative and I want to change it” – (i.e., I don’t like my body, I want to lose weight, I want to look better) – rather than focusing on “I want to bring this new, positive thing into my life”.
There’s an often-quoted fitness mantra that goes,
Workout because you love your body, not because you hate it.
If you’re wanting to improve upon your current fitness level or start working towards a healthier and stronger you, keep the above in mind and make it your mantra too!
We’re here to help you do that of course, and we’d love to get you started with our 5-step guide for setting more mindful fitness goals going forward. Why? So you can reach those goals, feel amazing about them, and use that motivation to keep pushing yourself to new heights of health and happiness.
Let’s get started.
Baby2Body’s 5 Step Guide to Setting More Mindful Fitness Goals
- Stick to one and set parameters: It’s OK to think about what you want to get out of your fitness overall (lose weight, build muscle, feel healthier), but when setting the actual goal you need to pick something specific to do and place guidelines around it. Set a tangible goal with a clear achievement point. It will be easier to measure and easier to stick with it.
- Write. It. Down.: Once you’ve identified what your specific goal is, think about what you need to do to achieve it and then speak or write out your intentions. Put it in your calendar or notepad or whatever you use to outline your days, and say exactly what you’re going to do and when. A study published in the British Journal of Health Psychology found that when people wrote down when and where they were going to exercise, they were much more likely to stick with it. For a great recap on the study and how this simple trick works, check out this article.
- Find the sweet spot: While you don’t want a goal that’s too easy (because you won’t be able to take it seriously), you also don’t want a goal that’s too lofty (because it becomes daunting and hard to dive into). Then you feel like you’ve failed before you started, and that’s just not helpful. Set goals that are attainable with effort, and allow yourself to adjust your initial plan to find your sweet spot, and build over time. Working towards your goals in increments can be a great way to help you achieve a larger resolution.
- Join a friend: If you’ve got everything going and find that the motivation is still a bit hard to come by, get a friend involved. Everything is better when you have someone to do it with! Join forces with your partner, a family member, or your best mate and aim to reach a shared goal together. It can inspire friendly competition and provide a natural source of motivation to keep you going.
- Build in a reward: Alright you’re almost there! But the one thing so many people forget to do when they set a fitness goal is deciding what happens when they actually accomplish it! So, what’s your reward for reaching that finish line or sticking with a resolution? Be your own biggest fan and supporter in the process and make sure to recognize your successes and treat yourself when you hit those goals – because that’s what makes it all feel so good!
Now that you’ve got your guidelines for setting more mindful fitness goals, here’s how we’ll help you put those goals into action on the Baby2Body app: we’ll take care of putting together exercises suited to your fitness level and stage that will be guaranteed to challenge you from head to toe — but you get to choose how you’ll use it.
When you join the Fitness Studio, you get to set your weekly workout goal. By focusing your goal and setting a parameter around it – you can hold yourself accountable to it week in and week out and track your progress. Of course, it’s all customizable to your needs so you can modify your settings until you find what works for you. If you need a little nudge from time to time, you can even set push notification reminders for workout days so we’ll be there to encourage you to get it done!
Don’t forget that on the app you’ll also get access to loads of information that’s tailored to your stage so you know what workouts are safe and how it will all benefit you and your baby. And guess what? That knowledge can help get you closer to your goals too! A recent study found that people who understand the benefits of exercise (and also understand the risk of diseases and health complications linked with physical inactivity) are more likely to exercise themselves. It’s a win-win.
So, you make the commitment to your health and fitness and we’ll be there with expert-led exercises and fresh ways to keep you motivated, as will the whole Baby2Body Community – because it’s a team effort, mama!
What are you waiting for? Explore the Fitness Studio today.