Exhaustion can be physical, mental, and emotional – and those pervasive feelings of tiredness can negatively impact our health and happiness. While improving sleep habits, maintaining a regular workout schedule, and eating healthy are key ways to boost physical energy – how can you tackle mental and emotional fatigue? Fear not, because we have some fun and fresh life hacks to fight fatigue in a new way.
- What rhymes with orange? – Well, nothing. But it is a great colour to add to your wardrobe. Orange is a combination of red (an energising shade) and yellow (a happy, brightening shade) – so, incorporating it into your daily outfit is an easy way to trick your brain into feeling more awake. So pop on a tangerine cardigan, don some melon-hued sandals, or pack up a coral-coloured handbag for the day.
- Regrets, I’ve had a few – We all have regrets, but you can do yourself a huge favour by learning to let go. The emotions associated with regret are akin to loss, which drains our bodies and minds of energy. Write down the regrets that often pop into your mind – it helps to see them written out so you can put them into context and find ways to move past it.
- Phone a friend – Socialising with friends and loved ones releases a hormone into our bloodstream called oxytocin. The effects of oxytocin are overall feelings of calm and comfort. A quick chat with a dear friend before bed can promote the release of this hormone, making you feel more relaxed and better able to fall asleep.
- Jump for joy – Simply bouncing up and down can energise you in an instant. If you have a toddler running around your house you’ll notice how bouncy – and energetic – they are at all times. Let out your inner child; you’ll be surprised by how good it feels.
- Take a breather – In fact, take a nice, long deep breath. Deep breathing increases oxygen flow to the brain, naturally fighting off mental fatigue – so you can get after the day ahead. While you practice deep breathing, try incorporating a positive mantra into your thoughts as well. Try something like, “I am beautiful and strong, inside and out”. With every inhale, repeat this mantra to yourself and feel positivity and energy rush in.
- Minty fresh – the smell of mint is a natural physical energiser. It stimulates the senses and makes us more aware and alert. Try adding some fresh mint leaves to your water, swap your body wash out for a eucalyptus mint scrub, or you can always pop a piece of gum to give you that added boost.
- Decisions, decisions – decision making is a real drag… energy-wise that is. We have to make a lot of choices throughout the day, and you may not realise it, but all of those indecisive moments can add up and sap your energy. Challenge yourself to go with your gut, be assertive in the choices you make, and where possible, limit your options.
- Look smart, play smart – The way you dress for the day has an impact on how you perform at work, at home, and in everything you do. Sporting sweats, comfy shoes and skipping the makeup routine may be easier, but you’ll retain that drowsy feeling all day. Dressing sharp and applying a touch of mascara and lip-gloss can instantly make you feel more ready to tackle the day ahead.