September 15, 2016
According to meteorology, summer officially ended two weeks ago... but we're not ready to sign on to that just yet. We prefer to use the astrologists' seasonal calendar, because that gives us one extra week before the BBQs sizzle out for good. With the end-of-summer countdown officially upon us, we're noticing that it's not just the daylight hours that are starting to fade, our sun-kissed glows are waning as well. Unless you're skipping off for one last seaside vacation this season, we're guessing your summer skin may be washing away too. While there's a sweet sadness to saying goodbye to summer, we definitely don't like saying hello to drier, less lustrous looking skin. But this year we're combatting the winter skin woes with our top tips for protecting your glow and maintaining healthy summer skin.
7 Top Tips for Protecting Your Glow
1. It may seem like the midday sun is less intense, but it's always a good idea to stay protected. Colder weather makes sunscreen seem like a silly step, but the sun's UV rays still affect our skin in the same way. While you'll start to cover up more, it's important to apply a daily SPF to your face if you're planning on spending time outside. Pregnancy hormones leave the skin more sensitive and vulnerable to the sun as well, so proper use of SPF will minimize your risk of chloasma at all times of the year. We recommend La Roche-Posay Anthelios SPF 30 for daily use. It provides lightweight but high protection coverage and is paraben-free, fragrance-free and won't clog pores.
2. If you’ve overdone your exposure to the sun this summer, the first step is helping it recover from head to toe. Soothe your skin with aloe vera gel or cocoa butter cream. Aloe vera naturally reduces swelling and helps your skin heal faster, and it's rich in antioxidants that help fight free radicals and prevent premature aging. Cocoa butter will provide intensive hydration to dry skin due to it's high-content of healthy fatty acids. Look for fragrance-free varieties of these products to minimize chances of irritation.
3. Sometimes you just have to 'fake it until you make it'. A light touch of peachy blusher such as Tarte's Amazonian Clay 12-Hour Blush applied to the apples of your cheeks easily adds a youthful, healthful, radiant glow. If you're really after that sun-kissed look, and willing to spend a bit extra, opt for Soleil Tan De Chanel. It's a bronzing base with a creamy texture that can be worn alone, or brushed on before foundation. Either way the end result leaves you looking perfectly sunbathed.
4. Nourish your skin from the inside out by drinking water throughout the day. If pregnant, your water intake is probably pretty high, so be sure to keep it up! For all of our new moms, try to add 2-3 glasses of water to your normal daily intake. I know it may sound too simple, but water really is nature's elixir - 8-10 full glasses a day will help you look, and feel, incredible.
5. Remember that what you eat also has an impact on how you look and feel. A diet rich in fruits and vegetables can naturally promote healthier skin due to their high levels of damage-preventing antioxidants. Colorful, deeply pigmented foods such as carrots, sweet potatoes, spinach, kale, tomatoes, blueberries and cantaloupe are all believed to help boost skin health and radiance, giving you a completely natural glow all year long.
6. Exfoliate! You may be thinking, 'wait... won't exfoliating cause me to loose my tan faster?' and the answer is, yes, but let us explain ourselves! If you've recently secured a healthy summer tan then you may not be keen to go scrubbing away at it, and that's OK. In the few weeks after you get a tan make sure to moisturize daily to retain healthy hydration. But as your tan starts to fade it's best not to fight it, because you'll be left with a layer of dead skin cells that can leave you looking dry and ashy. A gentle, full body exfoliation will leave your skin looking and feeling fresher. You may not look as tan after a good scrub, but you'll have a renewed radiance that will look absolutely beautiful on you, we promise.
7. Make a point to follow through with your cleansing, toning and moisturising steps first thing in the morning and before you go to bed. We know it takes a bit of extra time, but it will be so beneficial in maintaining your skin health. Don't forget to treat your face and neck to the same treatment every time as well! It's the most sensitive skin on our bodies, so they need a little extra love.
We want to know your beauty secrets for maintaining your summer glow! Tell us your top tip in the comments below.